According to Apple’s press release of its fiscal 2015 first quarter ended December 27, 2014, on January 27,
“THE COMPANY POSTED RECORD QUARTERLY REVENUE OF $74.6 BILLION AND RECORD QUARTERLY NET PROFIT OF $18 BILLION”
“THE RESULTS WERE FUELED BY ALL-TIME RECORD REVENUE FROM IPHONE® AND MAC® SALES AS WELL AS RECORD PERFORMANCE OF THE APP STORE℠. IPHONE UNIT SALES OF 74.5 MILLION ALSO SET A NEW RECORD.”
1. It made the biggest profit ever by a public company, beating Russian oil company Gazprom’s 2011 record of $16.2 billion in a quarter.
2. It reported the sales of 74.5 million iPhones in the three months to December 27, 2014. This amounts to 34,000 handsets being sold every hour.
3. Apple’s quarterly revenue just from the iPhone, $51.2 billion, was greater than Yahoo’s entire market capitalization of $45.5 billion.
4. Apple’s iPhone revenue in the fourth quarter was more than three times Google’s third-quarter revenue, $16.5 billion.
5. And Apple’s iPhone revenue was almost twice Microsoft’s $26.5 billion in revenue last quarter.
6. At 74.5 million units, Apple sold over seven times as many phones as Microsoft’s Nokia business.
7. In fact, 74.5 million iPhones is more than Apple sold during its entire 2011 fiscal year (the four left-most bars on this chart, as Apple’s fiscal year starts in October).
8. If Apple were a country it would be the 37th wealthiest in the world. Its annual revenues outstrip the GDP of Singapore, Israel, Chile, Hong Kong and Greece plus more than 150 other countries.
9. In 2011, Apple became worth more than Microsoft and Intel combined.
10. It’s also 20 million more iPhones than Netflix has paid subscribers, 54.5 million.
11. Apple has $178 billion in cash, more than enough to buy IBM at its current market cap of $152.3 billion.
12. In fact, Apple could buy Ford, GM, and Tesla and still have $41.3 billion left over.
13. Apple sold 21.4 million iPads last quarter. That was considered a disappointment but was at least one for every person in the state of New York.
14. Apple’s iPad revenue alone, $9 billion, is more than enough to buy GoPro at its current market cap of $6.6 billion.
15. Apple sold 5.52 million Macs last quarter, enough to give one to every person in Ireland.
16. Apple’s Mac revenue was $6.9 billion last quarter. That’s more than the GDP of Monaco.
17. Before the latest earnings, Apple’s market cap was $640 billion. That is more than the GDP of all but 25 countries. No. 26, South Africa, had a GDP of $596 billion in 2013, according to CIA estimates.