Alcatel has launched the Alcatel A7 XL, a plus-sized smartphone along with its smaller sibling, the Alcatel A7 and the Idol 5 at the IFA 2017 event that’s going on in Berlin. The Alcatel A7 XL is a high-end smartphone, and though most of its specs are similar to those of the A7, it has some nice extra features that set it apart from its smaller colleague in the series.
Alcatel A7 XL Review
The Alcatel A7 XL runs on Android 7.1 Nougat out of the box. Though both smartphones are based on the same Android OS iteration, the version (7.1) on the A7 XL is more advanced than that (7.0) on the A7.
Design & Display
The Alcatel A7 XL brings it large with a 6-inch IPS LCD display which is covered with 2.5D curved glass and protected from stains, scratches and impact with a Dragontrail glass protection.
The size of the display doesn’t mean that its quality would be low as it has the same Full HD (1920 * 1080) pixel resolution in the A7. The smartphone weighs 175 grammes and is 8.65mm thick. It has a metal unibody design and has its speaker and microphone grills underneath it.
Memory & Performance
The Alcatel A7 XL is powered by a MediaTek MT6750S processor with eight processor cores and a clock speed of 1.5GHz under the hood. It comes with 3GB of RAM and 32GB of internal storage which can be expanded up to 128GB via its microSD card slot.
A dual camera setup consisting of a 12MP primary camera and 2MP secondary camera which captures depth of field of objects is present together with a dual-tone LED flash at the rear of the smartphone.
It also sports a 5MP camera with a LED flash at the front for taking selfies.
Like the A7, the Alcatel A7 XL packs a 4000mAh battery with fast charging, ensuring that you’re able to use the phone for more than 24 hours without needing to recharge it, and if the need for recharge arises, the phone charges up very fast in order for you to resume your tasks on it.
Connectivity & Hardware
We know neither how many SIM slots the A7 XL would have nor their type, but we do know that the smartphone would be able to access broadbands on the 4G network, including those that have VoLTE. It also supports NFC.
On the hardware side, the Alcatel A7 XL features a fingerprint sensor on its rear panel for securing the smartphone.
Alcatel A7 XL Full Specifications
- 2G: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 MHz.
- 3G: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100 MHz.
- 4G: LTE with VoLTE.
- Network Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE Cat6 300/50 Mbps.
- SIM Type: n/a
- SIM Count: n/a
- OS: Android 7.1 Nougat.
- User Interface: –
Design & Display
- Dimensions: 159.6 * 81.5 * 8.65 mm.
- Weight: 175g.
- Display size: 6.0 inches.
- Display Resolution: 1920 * 1080 pixels (Full HD).
- Pixel resolution: n/a
- Display Technology: IPS LCD Capacitive touchscreen.
- Form Factor: Touchscreen Bar.
- Build: Metal Unibody Design.
- Protection: 2.5D curved glass, Dragontrail Glass.
- Colours: Metal Black & Metal Gold Finish.
- Processor Name/Technology: 64-bit MediaTek MT6750S.
- Processor Speed: 1.5GHz.
- Number of Processor Cores: Octa-core.
- Graphics Processor: n/a
- RAM: 3GB.
- Internal Storage: 32GB.
- External Storage: microSD, up to 128GB.
- Sensors: Accelerometer, Light, Proximity, Fingerprint Sensor.
- Lens: 12MP + 2MP dual cameras.
- LED Flash: Yes, Dual-tone.
- Video recording: Yes, 1080p.
- Properties: Depth of Field (Secondary camera).
- Lens: 5MP.
- LED Flash: Yes.
- Video recording: Yes.
- Properties: –
- Music Support: AAC, AMR, MP2, MP3, M4A, MKA.
- Loudspeaker: Yes.
- Audio Technology: n/a
- Video Support: MP4/MPEG4/H.263/H.264 player.
- FM Radio: No.
- Bluetooth: v4.2.
- Bluetooth Profiles: A2DP, LE.
- WiFi: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n (2.4GHz and 5GHz), Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot.
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS.
- USB: micro-USB v2.0.
- USB OTG: Yes.
- NFC: Yes.
- 3.5mm audio jack: Yes.
- Battery Capacity: 4000mAh.
- Battery Technology: Li-ion.
- Removable? No.
- Fast Charging: Yes.
- Extra Features: –
- Launch Date: September 4, 2017.
- Availability: Q4 2017.
How much is Alcatel A7 XL?
The Alcatel A7 XL will come in Metal Black and Metal Gold Finish colours for $332. It will be rolled out to markets in Europe, Latam, Middle East, Africa and the APAC region in the fourth quarter of the year.