Alcatel introduced the Idol 5S mid-range smartphone with a fast processor and nice camera features earlier in June. Now, the company has launched a cheaper variant, the Alcatel Idol 5 alongside two other smartphones at the IFA 2017 event in Berlin.
Some of the specifications of the Idol 5S have been downgraded to produce the Idol 5, but some have also been upgraded to fit modern standards.
Alcatel Idol 5 Review
The Alcatel Idol 5 runs on Android 7.0 Nougat out of the box. The smartphone has this in common with the Alcatel A7 that was launched with it at the event.
Design & Display
The Idol 5 comes with a 5.5-inch IPS display which has a Full HD (1920 * 1080) pixel resolution and is covered with 2.5D curved glass. The smartphone has Dragontrail glass protection, is just 7.5mm thick and weighs 155 grammes.
The Idol 5 has a metal unibody design that’s different from that of its predecessor, the Idol 5S.
Memory & Performance
The Alcatel Idol 5 is powered by an octa-core MediaTek MT6753 processor with a clock speed of 1.3GHz, and a Mali-T720 GPU handles its graphics operations.
It comes with 3GB of RAM and 16GB of internal storage which can be expanded up to 128GB using a microSD card.
The smartphone sports a 13MP camera with f/2.0 aperture and 76.3-degree Field of View at the rear with a dual-tone LED flash which brightens up your photos as well as the environment in low-light conditions.
It also features a 5MP camera with f/2.4 aperture and 84-degree Field of View at the front with a LED flash for taking selfies.
The Idol 5 packs a 2800mAh battery which is capable of taking the user through more than half a day before requiring a recharge.
Connectivity & Hardware
The Alcatel Idol 5 has a fingerprint sensor above the IDOL logo at the back of the smartphone. It comes with a 1.2W speaker, AW8738 amplifier and Dirac audio optimisation.
The smartphone supports 4G VoLTE networks and has connectivity options like Bluetooth 4.2, GPS and Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n.
Alcatel Idol 5 Full Specifications
- 2G: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 MHz.
- 3G: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100 MHz.
- 4G: LTE with VoLTE.
- Network Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE Cat6 300/50 Mbps.
- SIM Type: n/a
- SIM Count: n/a
- OS: Android 7.0 (Nougat).
- User Interface: n/a
Design & Display
- Dimensions: 148 * 73 * 7.5 mm.
- Weight: 155g.
- Display size: 5.5 inches.
- Display Resolution: 1920 x 1080 pixels (Full HD).
- Pixel resolution: n/a
- Display Technology: IPS LCD Capacitive touchscreen.
- Form Factor: Touchscreen Bar.
- Build: Metal Unibody Design
- Protection: 2.5D Curved glass, Dragontrail glass protection
- Colours: Metal Silver & Metal Black.
- Processor Name/Technology: MediaTek MT6753 processor.
- Processor Speed: 1.3GHz.
- Number of Processor Cores: Octa-Core.
- Graphics Processor: Mali-T720 MP3.
- RAM: 3GB.
- Internal Storage: 16GB storage.
- External Storage: expandable up to 128GB with microSD.
- Sensors: Accelerometer, Light, Proximity, Fingerprint sensor.
- Lens: 13MP.
- LED Flash: dual-tone LED flash.
- Video recording: Yes, 1080p.
- Properties: f/2.0 aperture
1/3″ sensor size
1.12µm pixel size
76.3-degree angle (FOV)
- Lens: 5MP.
- LED Flash: Yes.
- Video recording: Yes.
- Properties: f/2.4 aperture
1/5″ sensor size
1.12µm pixel size
84-degree angle (FOV)
- Music Support: AAC, AMR, MP2, MP3, M4A, MKA.
- Loudspeaker: Yes, 1.2W.
- Audio Technology: AW8738 amplifier & Dirac audio optimization.
- Video Support: MP4/MPEG4/H.263/H.264 player.
- FM Radio: No.
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth 4.2.
- Bluetooth Profiles: A2DP, LE.
- WiFi: Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot.
- GPS: Yes.
- USB: v2.0.
- USB OTG: Yes.
- NFC: –
- 3.5mm audio jack: Yes.
- Battery Capacity: 2800mAh.
- Battery Technology: Li-ion.
- Removable? No.
- Fast Charging: No.
- Extra Features: –
- Launch Date: September 4, 2017.
- Availability: Q4 2017.
How much is Alcatel Idol 5?
The Alcatel Idol 5 costs $284 and comes in Metal Silver and Metal Black colours. The smartphone would be available in Europe and Latam in the fourth quarter of the year.