Copyright © 2017 Healthable. A Krafty Sprouts Property.
iPhone 8 Plus with dual 12MP cameras & 5.5-inch display: Specs & Price
The Apple iPhone 8 Plus was announced alongside the iPhone 8 at the Apple event in Cupertino earlier in the month. Both smartphones in the latest generation of the iPhone series were announced at the event after Apple’s main product of the day, the iPhone X was unveiled.
As usual, the Apple iPhone 8 Plus comes with a bigger display than its counterpart, the iPhone 8. Though most of their specifications are similar, the iPhone 8 Plus brings upgrades in aspects that matter.
Apple iPhone 8 Plus Review
The iPhone 8 Plus comes running on iOS 11, Apple’s latest operating system version for its smartphones with updated functions and new features like Animoji. iOS 11 is also run on the iPhone 8 and iPhone X, as well as almost all iPhones that still get updates from the company.
Design & Display
The iPhone 8 Plus comes with a standard 5.5-inch Full HD (1920 * 1080 pixels) Retina display that has a 401ppi pixel density, 1300:1 contrast ratio and 625 cd/m2 max brightness level. The display has 3D Touch which allows you to perform advanced functions on apps right from the app launcher icons.
The smartphone weighs 202 grammes and is just 7.5 millimetres thick. It has a glass body design which Apple calls the most durable glass ever on a smartphone, and a aluminium frame. This is the first time an iPhone is made with glass, and this was most probably in order to allow wireless charging on the device.
Memory & Performance
The smartphone is powered by the combination of a six-core A11 Bionic 64-bit processor, M11 motion co-processor and three-core GPU, making it one of the fastest smartphones available right now. It comes in 64GB and 256GB internal storage variants.
A dual camera setup consisting of a 12MP primary wide-angle lens with f/1.8 aperture and a 12MP telephoto lens with f/2.8 aperture is present at the rear. Both are accompanied by a Quad-LED True Tone flash and offer OIS, Optical zoom, Digital zoom, and Six-element photography. They are capable of recording normal videos on a 4K resolution at 60fps, and slow-motion videos on a FHD (1080p) resolution at 240fps.
Like the iPhone 8, the iPhone 8 Plus sports a 7MP camera with f/2.2 aperture and 1080p video recording at the front for taking selfies.
The battery capacity of the iPhone 8 Plus isn’t known yet, but we are sure that it’s a built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery that comes with Qi wireless charging technology and offers up to 13 hours internet usage and 21 hours of talk time.
Connectivity & Hardware
The iPhone 8 Plus comes with a single SIM slot, supports 4G VoLTE networks and offers connectivity options like WiFi 802.11 ac with MIMO, Bluetooth 5.0, NFC with reader mode, and GPS with GLONASS.
The smartphone offers advanced security features with fingerprint scanning that can be accessed via its physical home button at the front, together with TouchID. It also has stereo speakers.
Apple iPhone 8 Plus Full Specifications
- 2G: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 MHz.
- 3G: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100 MHz.
- 4G: LTE with VoLTE.
- Network Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE Cat6 300/50 Mbps.
- SIM Type: Micro-SIM.
- SIM Count: Single SIM.
- OS: iOS 11.
Design & Display
- Dimensions: 158.4 * 78.1 * 7.5 mm.
- Weight: 202g.
- Display size: 5.5 inches.
- Display Resolution: 1920 * 1080 pixels (Full HD).
- Pixel resolution: ~401 ppi pixel density.
- Display Technology: IPS Capacitive touchscreen.
- Form Factor: Touchscreen Bar.
- Build: Glass back with aluminium frame.
- Protection: n/a.
- Features: 1430:1 contrast ratio, 625 cd/m2 max brightness, 3D Touch.
- Colours: Gold, Silver and Space Gray.
- Processor Name/Technology: A11 Bionic 64-bit processor with M11 motion co-processor.
- Processor Speed: –
- Number of Processor Cores: Six cores.
- Graphics Processor: Three-core GPU.
- RAM: –
- Internal Storage: 64GB / 256GB.
- External Storage: Not expandable.
- Sensors: Accelerometer, Light, Proximity, Fingerprint sensor, Infrared sensor.
- Lens: Dual 12MP wide-angle + 12MP telephoto cameras.
- LED Flash: Quad-LED True Tone Flash.
- Video recording: Yes, 4K video recording.
- f/1.8 aperture (Primary).
- f/2.8 aperture (Secondary).
- Six‑element lens.
- Digital zoom up to 10x.
- Optical zoom.
- 4K video recording at 60 fps
- Slo‑mo 1080p at 240 fps.
- Lens: 7MP lens.
- LED Flash: Retina Flash.
- Video recording: Yes.
- Properties: f/2.2 aperture, 1080p video recording.
- Music Support: AAC, AMR, MP2, MP3, M4A, MKA.
- Loudspeaker: Yes.
- Audio Technology: Stereo speakers.
- Video Support: MP4/MPEG4/H.263/H.264 player.
- FM Radio: No.
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth 5.0.
- Bluetooth Profiles: A2DP, LE.
- WiFi: WiFi 802.11 ac with MIMO, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot.
- GPS: GPS with GLONASS.
- USB: iPhone lightning port.
- USB OTG: Yes.
- NFC: Yes, with reader.
- 3.5mm audio jack: Yes.
- Battery Capacity: n/a
- Battery Technology: Li-ion.
- Removable? No.
- Fast Charging: Yes, Qi wireless charging and fast charging.
- Extra Features-
- Launch Date: September 13, 2017.
- Availability: September 22, 2017.
How much is Apple iPhone 8 Plus?
The base model of the Apple iPhone 8 Plus, the one with 64GB of internal memory costs $799 while its top-end model with 256GB of internal memory costs $949. It is offered in Gold, Silver and Space Grey colours and will go on pre-order from the 15th of October, after which it will go on sale on the 22nd of September.