After announcing its main gadget of the day, the iPhone X, Apple announced the smartphones in the next standard generation of iPhones, the Apple iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus at its event in Cupertino on the 13th of September.
The iPhone 8 has a similar form factor to smartphones in previous generations of the iPhone, but this one is made with more durable material and packs some advanced features that will make it worth its cost.
Apple iPhone 8 Review
Like all Apple smartphones announced together with it, the Apple iPhone 8 runs on Apple’s latest operating system version for its smartphones, iOS 11 with updated and new features.
Design & Display
As the base model of its series, the iPhone 8 features a compact 4.7-inch IPS display with a 326ppi pixel density and Full HD+ (1334 * 750) pixel resolution. It has a maximum brightness level of 625 cd/m2 and 1400:1 contrast ratio, and comes with 3D Touch like its predecessors.
The smartphone weighs 148 grammes and is just 7.3 millimetres thick. Its back panel is designed with glass and it has an aluminium frame, a combination which Apple says is the most durable ever on a smartphone.
Memory & Performance
Under the hood, the Apple iPhone 8 is powered by an Apple A11 Bionic chip with six cores, a three-core GPU and an M11 motion co-processor. The phone comes in 64GB and 256GB internal storage variants, both without the option to expand the memory using an external microSD card.
The iPhone 8 sports a single 12MP camera with six-element f/1.8 lens and OIS at the rear. The camera is capable of 4K video recording at 60fps, slow-motion 1080p recording at 240fps, and it has a Quad-LED True Tone flash to provide lighting.
At the front, there’s a 7MP camera with f/2.2 aperture and 1080p video recording for taking selfies. The front camera is assisted by Retina Flash which helps to provide lighting.
The battery capacity of the iPhone 8 is not known yet, but we are sure that it’s a built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery that comes with Qi wireless charging technology.
Connectivity & Hardware
Like previous generations of the iPhone, the iPhone 8 will come with a single SIM slot and support 4G VoLTE networks. It also offers connectivity options like WiFi 802.11 ac with MIMO, Bluetooth 5.0, NFC with reader mode, and GPS with GLONASS.
The smartphone offers advanced security features with fingerprint scanning that can be accessed via its physical home button at the front, together with TouchID. It also has stereo speakers.
Apple iPhone 8 Full Specifications
- 2G: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 MHz.
- 3G: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100 MHz.
- 4G: LTE with VoLTE.
- Network Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE Cat6 300/50 Mbps.
- SIM Type: Micro-SIM.
- SIM Count: Single SIM.
- OS: iOS 11.
Design & Display
- Dimensions: 138.4 * 67.3 * 7.3 mm.
- Weight: 148g.
- Display size: 4.7 inches.
- Display Resolution: 1334 * 750 pixels (Full HD+).
- Pixel resolution: ~326 ppi pixel density.
- Display Technology: IPS Capacitive touchscreen.
- Form Factor: Touchscreen Bar.
- Build: Glass back with aluminium frame.
- Protection: n/a.
- Features: 1400:1 contrast ratio, 625 cd/m2 max brightness, 3D Touch.
- Colours: Silver and Space Gray.
- Processor Name/Technology: A11 Bionic 64-bit processor with M11 motion co-processor.
- Processor Speed: –
- Number of Processor Cores: Six cores.
- Graphics Processor: Three-core GPU.
- RAM: –
- Internal Storage: 64GB / 256GB.
- External Storage: Not expandable.
- Sensors: Accelerometer, Light, Proximity, Fingerprint sensor, Infrared sensor.
- Lens: 12MP lens.
- LED Flash: Quad-LED True Tone Flash.
- Video recording: Yes, 4K video recording.
- f/1.8 aperture
- Six‑element lens
- 4K video recording at 60 fps
- Slo‑mo 1080p at 240 fps.
- Lens: 7MP lens.
- LED Flash: Retina Flash.
- Video recording: Yes.
- Properties: f/2.2 aperture, 1080p video recording.
- Music Support: AAC, AMR, MP2, MP3, M4A, MKA.
- Loudspeaker: Yes.
- Audio Technology: Stereo speakers.
- Video Support: MP4/MPEG4/H.263/H.264 player.
- FM Radio: No.
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth 5.0.
- Bluetooth Profiles: A2DP, LE.
- WiFi: WiFi 802.11 ac with MIMO, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot.
- GPS: GPS with GLONASS.
- USB: iPhone lightning port.
- USB OTG: Yes.
- NFC: Yes, with reader.
- 3.5mm audio jack: Yes.
- Battery Capacity: n/a
- Battery Technology: Li-ion.
- Removable? No.
- Fast Charging: Yes, Qi wireless charging and fast charging.
- Extra Features-
- Launch Date: September 13, 2017.
- Availability: September 22, 2017.
How much is Apple iPhone 8?
The base model of the Apple iPhone 8, the one with 64GB of internal memory costs $699 while its top-end model with 256GB of internal memory costs $849. It comes in Silver and Space Grey colours and will go on pre-order from the 15th of October, after which it will go on sale on the 22nd of September.