ASUS has announced a variant of its popular series-starter smartphone, the Zenfone for US telecommunications giant Verizon. The smartphone is named the ASUS Zenfone V and comes in the high-end range with modern features and a competitive price tag. The device has a codename V520KL.
Asus Zenfone V (V520KL) Review
The ASUS Zenfone V comes running last year’s flavour of the Android operating system, version 7.0 Nougat out of the box with the company’s Zen UI 3.0 layered on top for extra features and customizations.
Design & Display
The smartphone has a multi-dimensional design with a diamond-cut edge, and comes with a 5.2-inch AMOLED display which has a Full HD (1920 * 1080) pixel resolution and is protected by Corning Gorilla Glass 3.The smartphone is
The smartphone is covered on the front and back by 2.5D curved Corning Gorilla Glass, making it harder for the smartphone to crack on impact. It has a physical home button which is surrounded by two capacitive navigation buttons. It comes light at 147 grammes and wouldn’t be too thick for your palms at 7.62 millimetres.
Memory & Performance
The Zenfone V is powered by a quad-core Snapdragon 820 processor that runs on the 14nm process and can operate at speeds up to 2.15GHz. Its graphics processes are handled by an Adreno 530 GPU and its processor has 4GB of LPDDR4 RAM for efficient multi-tasking.
The smartphone has 32GB of internal storage which can be expanded up to 256GB using an external microSD card.
The ASUS Zenfone V sports a 23MP camera with a Sony IMX318 sensor, f/2.0 aperture, 6P Largan lens, OIS, EIS, Laser Autofocus and a dual-tone LED flash at the rear. There’s also an 8MP camera with f/2.0 aperture and 88-degree wide-angle lens at the front for taking selfies.
The device packs a 3000mAh battery which seems to be the standard battery capacity amongst high-end and mid-range smartphones today. It comes with BoostMaster fast charging technology which guarantees you up to 60% of battery juice in just 37 minutes of charging.
Connectivity & Hardware
The Zenfone V comes with a single SIM slot for Verizon and supports 4G LTE bands with VoLTE. It also has a USB Type-C port for fast charging and file transfers.
In terms of hardware, the ASUS Zenfone V’s home button doubles as its fingerprint sensor, and it uses a combination of the DTS Headphone:X virtual 7.1 surround sound, Hi-Res Audio 192kHz/24-bit standard, and NXP Smart AMP technology for an immersive audio experience.
Asus Zenfone V (V520KL) Full Specifications
- 2G: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 MHz.
- 3G: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100 MHz.
- 4G: LTE with VoLTE.
- Network Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE Cat6 300/50 Mbps.
- SIM Type: n/a
- SIM Count: n/a
- OS: Android 7.0 (Nougat).
- User Interface: Zen UI 3.0.
Design & Display
- Dimensions: 146.5 x 72.644 x 7.62mm.
- Weight: 147g.
- Display size: 5.2 inches.
- Display Resolution: 1920 x 1080 pixels(Full HD).
- Pixel resolution: n/a.
- Display Technology: AMOLED Capacitive touchscreen.
- Form Factor: Touchscreen Bar.
- Build: Metal Unibody Design.
- Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass 3.
- Features: 2.5D Glass on front & back.
- Colours: Sapphire Black.
- Processor Name/Technology: Snapdragon 820 14nm Mobile Platform.
- Processor Speed: 2.15GHz.
- Number of Processor Cores: Quad-Core.
- Graphics Processor: Adreno 530.
- RAM: 4GB LPDDR4.
- Internal Storage: 32GB internal storage.
- External Storage: expandable up to 256GB with microSD.
- Sensors: Accelerometer, Light, Proximity, Fingerprint sensor.
- Lens: 23MP.
- LED Flash: dual-tone LED Flash.
- Video recording: Yes, 1080p.
- Sony IMX318 sensor
- f/2.0 aperture
- 6P Largan lens
- 4-axis OIS
- 3-axis EIS
- Laser AF
- Lens: 8MP.
- LED Flash: No.
- Video recording: Yes.
- Properties: f/2.0 aperture & 88-degree wide-angle lens.
- Music Support: AAC, AMR, MP2, MP3, M4A, MKA.
- Loudspeaker: Yes.
- Audio Technology: DTS Headphone:X for virtual 7.1 surround sound, Hi-Res Audio 192kHz/24-bit standard, NXP Smart AMP technology.
- Video Support: MP4/MPEG4/H.263/H.264 player.
- FM Radio: No.
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth 4.2.
- Bluetooth Profiles: A2DP, LE.
- WiFi: WiFi 802.11ac (2.4 and 5GHz), Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot.
- GPS: Yes.
- USB: USB Type-C.
- USB OTG: Yes.
- NFC: No.
- 3.5mm audio jack: Yes.
- Battery Capacity: 3000mAh.
- Battery Technology: Li-ion.
- Removable? No.
- Fast Charging: Yes, BoostMaster fast charging (60% in 37 minutes).
- Extra Features: –
- Launch Date: October 6, 2017.
- Availability: October 6, 2017.
How much is Asus Zenfone V (V520KL)?
The Asus Zenfone V costs $384 in the U.S. without a contract with Verizon. You can also get it from Verizon for $16 per month for 24 months.