Tired of taking your computer to a professional every time there is a hiccup? This article will show you some basic things you can do to get your system running in no time. It includes; how to defrag your computer, how to fix low virtual memory, how to install a computer graphics card and how to remove a virus from your computer; they are easy steps, so you do not have to rack your brain to perform any of the tasks below.
How to defrag your computer
One of the safest ways to prevent your system from crashing is to defrag your computer; defrag your computer hard drive weekly to prevent errors and keep your system running excellently.
1. click on the start button, and then on “my computer”
2. right click on the local disk C icon label and press the property
3. select the tools tab from the properties menu and click on the Defragment now button. Alternatively, click the start button and then navigate to all programs, accessories, and system tools to get the disk defragmenter.
4. click the analyze defragment button in the disk defragmenter window to analyze the extent of defragmentation; decide whether to continue with the defragmentation based on the computer’s recommendations
5. click on the defragment button if you wish to continue and to patiently wait for the operation to complete. It is ideal to perform the defragment while you are not working on your computer; defragmentation can take several hours.
6. restart your computer after the operation is completed, and enjoy more speed when accessing your files.
How to fix low virtual memory
When all your computer real physical memory is in use, the computer uses part of the hard drive space as virtual memory. Below are steps to fix a low virtual memory, you will need;
- Computer with windows
- Antispyware program
- Antivirus program
- Additional real physical memory (RAM)
1. configure your computer so that windows automatically manages the virtual memory
2. run anti-spyware and antivirus program
3. eliminate non-essential programs on your computer
4. check the windows task manager to check how much memory the programs on your computer are consuming. Ensure your reinstall any applications that appear to be using more than their share of virtual memory
5. have an extra real digital memory (RAM), If all those fail now enjoy the new speed up
How to install a computer graphics card
Video games have taken it to the next level, but as your computer, if the graphic is so good, you will think that you are there; these steps will help you give you’re the “real life” experience by showing you how to install the graphics card.
You will need;
- A Philips-head screwdriver
- A PC with a PCIe x 16 graphics card port
- A new graphics card with a PCIe x 16 system interface
- Installation CD
1. uninstall the old graphics card software by going to the “add or remove” programs and features menu. Highlight the card’s driver and click uninstall; follow the onscreen instruction when asked if you want to reinstall, click “No” and shut down the computer.
2. unplug the computer, and remove the power cord from the tower, the monitor plugs directly into the graphics card so make note whether the monitor is plugged into the computer then disconnect the monitor from the tower.
3. remove the screws that hold the computer side cover in place and slide the cover off. However, wearing an antistatic bracelet connected to a mental part of the PC to prevent static-electricity damage.
4. take the old graphics card out by removing the screw that attaches to the back plate and then depressing the plastic tab that holds it in place; remove the card from the slot. If the new card requires a power source, connect the PCIe power source leads to the card’s socket before plugging card to the motherboard.
5. install the new card; some motherboards have to card slots, use the one the old card occupied. Line up the card’s gold contact and push it firmly into place. Use one or two screws fasten it to the back plate.
6. replace the side cover and then connect the monitor and the power cord to the computer, pug the computer in and turn it on.
7. insert the software CD and follow the onscreen instructions to install the drivers for the new graphics card. Now you can enjoy eye-popping graphics
How to remove virus from your computer
If your computer is affected with virus lately, this guide will fix and also save the stress from recovering lost files.
You will need;
- Internet access
- Antivirus software
- Spyware or spam scanner
- And of course a professional
1. locate your computer’s antivirus software or you can search online for a free program to get the latest definitions or updates.
2. scan your computer with the antivirus software regularly or as soon as you notice a problem to delete an infected file. Use a good spyware and spam scanner to destroy malicious that are not viruses.
3. quarantine any infected files if the software is unable to remove them; it will prevent the virus from impairing your computer’s performance.
4. locate the sources of the virus if the computer is unable to remove it by searching for suspicious files or emails sent to you recently downloaded. Most viruses will be executable which ends in “exe”.
5. remove the virus manually by opening the task manager or activity monitor check the name of each running process online, and then delete the virus.
6. visit a professional or repair technician to make sure you have successfully eliminated the virus and to install any updates you need so your computer is not re-infected with the virus.
The above four “know how” will help you operate your computer with confidence, especially in the office. If you have questions or have more tips, feel free to write it in the comment box below.