Sometimes our four-legged friends have special dietary needs, such as when they are ill and need something nutritious but easily digestible. Here’s a recipe for a healthy chicken and rice meal for your canine companion.
Makes 10 servings, provides a total of 6,645 kcal and is suitable for a dog who is moderately active and weighs 10kg.
About the Recipe
This is a recipe that based on Donald R. Strobeck’s “Home-Prepared Dog and Cat Diets”. It’s an ideal recipe for making batches of meals that can be frozen for later use. Some owners may need to add a multivitamin (ask your vet) to make sure the micro-nutrient needs of your dog are being met.
You can also add portions of this recipe to your dog’s dry food as a way to add variety to their meals. Also, keep in mind that any changes you make to your pet’s diet should be done so slowly and over the course of 7 days to allow them time to adjust.
Ingredients You Will Need:
- 1 kilogram of boneless lean raw chicken
- 7 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 2 cups of thawed frozen peas
- 2 cups of grated carrots
- 2 cups of fresh or thawed frozen spinach
- 1 Liter of water
- 2 teaspoon of a reduced sodium (potassium chloride) salt substitute
- 1 teaspoon of table salt
- 1 tablespoon of bone meal powder
- 2 cans (220 grams in total) of sardines (in tomato sauce)
- 10 cups of cooked white rice
Equipment You’ll Need:
- 1 Frying Pan
- 1 Large Stockpot or Sauce Pan
- Slice your chicken and then stir-fry it in batches, using half (3 1/2 tablespoons) of the vegetable oil mentioned above.
- While the meat is cooking, heat up the remaining 3 ½ tablespoons of oil in a large stockpot, then add the vegetables. Stir for 5 minutes.
- Next, add the water, bone meal powder, and salt to the stockpot, along with the chicken and cook it on a low heat for 1 hour.
- After an hour, remove the stockpot from heat and add in your cooked rice and sardines.
- Once cool, you can divide the mixture into 10 equal portions for freezing.
- Before serving from frozen, allow the portion to thaw in the refrigerator (at less than 40°C), then reheat until it is hot and steamy.
- Serve at room temperature.
- Any uneaten food should be discarded within an hour.