Polish City holds first LGBT equality walk

History was made on the 13th of October in the polish city of lublin as it’s first prime match ever took place despite the efforts of counter-protesters to disrupt the event.

According to information gathered by Gay star news via local police, about I500 people turned up for the equality walk, in comparison with the only about 200 protesters who are against the movement and try to disrupt it by throwing stones and bricks at attendees.

Local police reported that some anti-LGBT protesters try to block the attendees from passing through the streets of Lublin while some others introduce lit flares into the crowd of people.

The police arrived the scene and tried the possible best to scare off the homophobes, but sadly they wouldn’t move. As a last resort, the police had to make use of tear gas and water cannons to scale the anti-LGBT protesters.

Renata Laszczka-Rusek who is a spokesperson for the Lublin Police department told Poland In English that

“We have arrested several people, but I am sure that number will increase. During the gathering, we provided security for the participants despite the numerous illegal actions of their opponents.”

Police activities on that day were praised as many of the participants watched them carry out their duties despite the aggressive nature of the homophobic protestors. The preventive measures put in place where also commended.
It was also reported that two police officers were left injured by members of the violent anti-LGBT crowd.

Mayor Krzysztof Żuk announced earlier last week that the pro-LGBT parade was banned because of envisaged security concerns.

Przemysław Czarnek who is the homophobic regional governor and identifies as a member of the anti-LGBTI Law & Justice party is believed to have had a strong influence on the attack by the anti-LGBT protesters.

He also claimed around that same time that the walk would promote “paedophilia” and “sexual behaviour [that is] incompatible with nature.”

Kristine Garina who is President of the European Pride Organisers Association said while addressing the ban that “It is deeply depressing that we keep having to have the same conversations about Poland. Opposition to equality marches in Poland has found its way into European case law on the freedom of assembly, and you would think that eight years after Warsaw hosted EuroPride, attitudes would be changing.”

She further added that “But this is not the case. The Equality March this weekend must be allowed to go ahead. Right-wing and homophobic city officials like Mayor Żuk must realise they cannot stand in the way of LGBTI people’s human rights, even when elections are approaching.”

“We will be watching to see what happens this weekend and we demand that this unlawful ban is lifted.”

Fortunately for the polish LGBT community, the ban was lifted by the Poland court of appeal on the 12th of October due to freedom of assembly law, and the following day the match took place.