The Samsung Galaxy J3 (2017) has been unveiled by Samsung. The company’s latest budget smartphone was launched in the U.S. While the same phone was launched for Sprint (U.S. telecoms operator) earlier in the year as the Galaxy S3 Emerge, it was launched this time as the official Samsung Galaxy J3 (2017) for AT&T, a network carrier company in the United States.
Samsung Galaxy J3 (2017) Review
The Galaxy J3 (2017) operates on the Android 7.0 Nougat version compared to its Sprint version, the Emerge which runs on Marshmallow.
Design & Display
The smartphone comes with a 5-inch HD multi-touch display with 294ppi pixel density. It comes in a metal Aluminium casing and is available only in Silver colour. The Galaxy J3 weighs 147g and measures 140.9 * 70.1 * 8.7 mm.
Memory & Performance
The Galaxy J3 (2017) is powered by a 1.4GHz quad-core 64-bit Exynos 7570 14nm processor paired with a Mali T720 GPU. It comes with a 1.5GB RAM and a 16GB internal memory expandable up to 128GB via a microSD card.
The Samsung Galaxy J3 (2017) sports a 5MP rear camera with autofocus and LED flash support which has features such as face detection, HDR, panorama and Geo-tagging. Upfront, there is a 2MP camera for selfies and video chats.
The Galaxy J3 packs a 2600mAh user-replaceable Li-Ion battery which offers up to 408 hours of stand-by time and up to 23 hours of talk-time.
Connectivity & Hardware
The Galaxy J3 (2017) comes with a Dual SIM setup that supports the 4G LTE network. Other connectivity features include Bluetooth 4.0 LE, GPS/GLONASS, Wi-Fi 802.11 /b/g/n. It also comes with the USB OTG function. It, however, does not have a fingerprint sensor which is a deal breaker for some smartphone users.
Samsung Galaxy J3 (2017) Full Specifications
- 2G: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 – SIM 1 & SIM 2 (dual-SIM model only).
- HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100.
- HSDPA 850 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 – AT&T.
- LTE band 1(2100), 3(1800), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 20(800).
- LTE band 2(1900), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 7(2600), 12(700) – AT&T.
- Network Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE Cat4 150/50 Mbps
- SIM Type: Single SIM (Nano-SIM) or Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by).
- SIM Count: Dual SIM
- OS: Android 7.0 Nougat.
- User Interface:
Design & Display
- Dimensions: 140.9 * 70.1 * 8.7 mm.
- Weight: 147g.
- Display size: 5 inches.
- Display Resolution: 1280 * 720 pixels (HD).
- Pixel resolution: 294 ppi.
- Display Technology: IPS LCD Capacitive touchscreen.
- Form Factor: Touchscreen Bar.
- Build: Metal aluminium design
- Protection: n/a
- Colours: Silver
- Processor Name/Technology: Exynos 7570 14nm.
- Processor Speed: 1.4GHz.
- Number of Processor Cores: quad-core.
- Graphics Processor: Mali T720 GPU.
- RAM: 1.5GB.
- Internal Storage: 16GB.
- External Storage: microSD, expandable up to 128GB available.
- Sensors: Accelerometer, Light, Proximity, gyroscope.
- Lens: 5MP.
- LED Flash: Yes.
- Video recording: Yes, 1080p.
- Properties: Autofocus, Geo-tagging, HDR
- Lens: 2MP.
- LED Flash: –
- Video recording: Yes.
- Music Support: AAC, AMR, MP2, MP3, M4A, MKA.
- Loudspeaker: Yes.
- Audio Technology:
- Video Support: MP4/MPEG4/H.263/H.264 player.
- FM Radio: Yes.
- Bluetooth: v4.2.
- Bluetooth Profiles: A2DP, LE.
- WiFi: Wi-Fi 802.11/b/g/n, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot.
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS.
- USB: micro-USB v2.0.
- USB OTG: Yes
- NFC: No.
- 3.5mm audio jack: Yes.
- Battery Capacity: 2600mAh.
- Battery Technology: Li-Ion.
- Removable? Yes.
- Fast Charging: No.
- Extra Features: –
- Launch Date: May 15, 2017.
- Availability: May 15, 2017.
How much is Galaxy J3 in the U.S (AT&T)?
The Galaxy J3 is available in Silver Colour and will sell for a no-contract price of $179.99 (Rs. 11,540 approx.) or $6 per month on a 30-month contract with AT&T. The Samsung Galaxy J7 is going to be launched soon.