Samsung Mobile has launched a new smartphone, the Samsung Galaxy J3 Prime in its Galaxy J series of budget smartphones. The Galaxy J3 Prime succeeds the Galaxy J3, as the recently-released Galaxy J3 Pro has better specs.
Samsung Galaxy J3 Prime Review
As you would expect of Samsung smartphones that are launched one year after the latest version of Android was launched, the Samsung Galaxy J3 Prime runs on Android 7.0 Nougat out of the box. This is to be expected, as even Infinix smartphones now run the latest Android version out of the box.
Design & Display
The Galaxy J3 Prime has a 5.0-inch display with an HD (1280 * 720) pixel resolution. The smartphone has a common to the Galaxy J3 series, and the rear camera and LED flash are nestled on an extra design layer that I’ve not seen before on smartphones in this series. New design language, huh?
Memory & Performance
Under the hood, the smartphone is powered by Samsung’s Quad-core Exynos 7570 processor which runs on the 14nm process, has a clock speed of 1.4GHz and works with a Mali-T720 GPU to ensure that the phone doesn’t lag.
It has an uncommon RAM size of 1.5GB and 16GB of internal memory for accommodating all your multimedia files. The internal storage can be expanded with an external microSD card.
A 5MP camera is present at the rear of the J3 Prime to take care of your main photography needs, and visibility in low-light conditions is taken care of by a LED flash positioned beside the camera. The smartphone also sports a 2MP camera upfront for taking selfies.
Battery & Connectivity
The Samsung Galaxy J3 Prime packs a 2600mAh battery which will last you for more than half a day on average use. The smartphone supports 4G LTE networks via its single SIM slot and has Bluetooth version 4.1 for fast communication between close devices.
Samsung Galaxy J3 Prime Full Specifications
- 2G: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 MHz.
- 3G: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100 MHz.
- 4G: LTE.
- Network Speed: –
- SIM Type: Micro SIM slot.
- SIM Count: Single SIM
- OS: Android 7.0 Nougat.
- User Interface: n/a
Design & Display
- Dimensions: 139.7 * 69.85 * 8.89 mm.
- Weight: 148g.
- Display size: 5.0 inches.
- Display Resolution: 1280 * 720 pixels (HD).
- Pixel resolution: –
- Display Technology: IPS LCD Capacitive touchscreen.
- Form Factor: Touchscreen Bar.
- Build: Metal aluminium design.
- Protection: n/a
- Colours: Black.
- Processor Name/Technology: 64-bit Exynos 7570.
- Processor Speed: 1.4GHz.
- Number of Processor Cores: Quad-core.
- Graphics Processor: Mali T720.
- RAM: 1.5GB.
- Internal Storage: 16GB.
- External Storage: microSD.
- Sensors: Accelerometer, Light, Proximity.
- Lens: 5MP.
- LED Flash: Yes.
- Video recording: Yes.
- Properties: –
- Lens: 2MP.
- LED Flash: No.
- Video recording: No.
- Properties: –
- Music Support: AAC, AMR, MP2, MP3, M4A, MKA.
- Loudspeaker: Yes.
- Audio Technology: –
- Video Support: MP4/MPEG4/H.263/H.264 player.
- FM Radio: No.
- Bluetooth: v4.1.
- Bluetooth Profiles: LE.
- WiFi: Wi-Fi 802.11 ac, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot.
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS.
- USB: micro-USB v2.0.
- USB OTG: Yes.
- NFC: –
- 3.5mm audio jack: Yes.
- Battery Capacity: 2600mAh.
- Battery Technology: Li-ion.
- Removable? –
- Fast Charging: No.
- Extra Features: –
- Launch Date: April 28, 2017.
- Availability: April 28, 2017.
How much is Samsung Galaxy J3 Prime in the U.S. & Nigeria?
The Samsung Galaxy J3 Prime is available in the U.S. from MetroPCS and T-Mobile for $6.00 per month on a 24-month contract, or for $150 flat rate. MetroPCS is also currently offering a discount which allows you to get it for a total amount of $139 on contract, which translates to around $5.8 per month.
The Galaxy J3 Prime comes in Black colour and is expected to cost around N55,000 when it becomes available in Nigeria.