The SOLO Aspire M was released early in April when SOLO Phones collaborated with Airtel Nigeria to bring the smartphone to Airtel subscribers on a contract which allowed them to pay as low as N4,150 per month for 12 months for the smartphone after getting it the first month.
The Aspire M came a short time after the SOLO Aspire 4 was released, which led us to think that the Aspire 4 was just rebranded as the Aspire M to fit the collaboration purposes, as its specifications were not clear at the time of its launch. We now have the full specifications of the Aspire M, and we thereby bring you its review.
SOLO Aspire M Review
The SOLO Aspire M runs on the Android 5.1 Lollipop operating system, which though is old to tech freaks like me, is still current and appropriate for a smartphone of its calibre. The phone comes with SOLO Music (SOLO View) which gives you unlimited access to more than 20,000 songs and videos from Hollywood, Bollywood and Nollywood.
Design & Display
The smartphone has a screen size of 5 inches, an in-plane switching (IPS) display technology and a display resolution of 960 * 540 pixels (HD). It is made of plastic and is 9.8 millimetres thick. The Aspire M uses capacitive navigation buttons and comes in Warm Silver and Soft Gold colours.
Memory & Performance
The SOLO Aspire M is powered by a quad-core MediaTek MT6580 processor with a clock speed of 1.2GHz. It has 1GB of RAM and 8GB of internal memory which can be expanded up to 32GB using a microSD card.
The smartphone sports a 5MP camera with a LED flash at the rear, and a 2MP camera is present upfront for taking selfies.
The SOLO Aspire M packs a 1800mAh battery which might not last up to 12 hours on heavy use but would be just fine for average and soft users.
Connectivity & Hardware
The Aspire M has Bluetooth, Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n and Hotspot tethering to satisfy your wireless connectivity needs. It also has GPS for location tracking and a micro-USB version 2.0 port for charging. A dual micro-SIM slot allows you to connect to 3G networks.
SOLO Aspire M Full Specifications
- 2G: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 MHz.
- 3G: HSDPA 850 / 2100 MHz.
- 4G: No.
- Network Speed: –
- SIM Type: Micro-SIM, dual standby.
- SIM Count: Dual SIM.
- OS: Android 5.1 Lollipop.
- User Interface: –
Design & Display
- Dimensions: 144.3 * 73.1 * 9.8 mm.
- Weight: –
- Display size: 5.0 inches.
- Display Resolution: 960 * 540 pixels (HD).
- Pixel resolution: –
- Display Technology: IPS Capacitive touchscreen.
- Form Factor: Touchscreen Bar.
- Build: Plastic with metal trimmings.
- Protection: n/a
- Colours: Warm Silver & Soft Gold.
- Processor Name/Technology: 64-bit MediaTek MT6580.
- Processor Speed: 1.2GHz.
- Number of Processor Cores: Quad-core.
- Graphics Processor: –
- RAM: 1GB.
- Internal Storage: 8GB.
- External Storage: microSD, up to 32GB.
- Sensors: Accelerometer, Light, Proximity.
- Lens: 5MP.
- LED Flash: Yes.
- Video recording: Yes.
- Properties: –
- Lens: 2MP.
- LED Flash: No.
- Video recording: –
- Music Support: AAC, AMR, MP2, MP3, M4A, MKA.
- Loudspeaker: Yes.
- Audio Technology: –
- Video Support: MP4/MPEG4/H.263/H.264 player.
- FM Radio: Yes.
- Extras: SOLO View (SOLO Music) with unlimited access to over 20,000 songs & movies on Hollywood, Bollywood & Nollywood.
- Bluetooth: v4.0.
- WiFi: Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot.
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS.
- USB: micro-USB v2.0.
- USB OTG: No.
- NFC: No.
- 3.5mm audio jack: Yes.
- Battery Capacity: 1800mAh.
- Battery Technology: Li-ion.
- Removable? No.
- Fast Charging: No.
- Launch Date: April 2017.
- Availability: April 2017.
How much is SOLO Aspire M in Nigeria?
The SOLO Aspire M is available on the Airtel Nigeria network for free with a special smartphone bundle subscription, and can’t be purchased in smartphone stores, both online and offline. Details about this plan can be found here.