The Sony Xperia XZ Premium came to the limelight at the MWC 2017 event in Barcelona back in February when it was unveiled as the first smartphone to use the newly-launched Snapdragon 835 SoC from Qualcomm. Since then, the company has launched different colour versions of the smartphone, and the latest is the Opulent Red variant.
The smartphone retains all the other specifications of the standard variant, which include amazing photography abilities and a high-quality display.
Sony Xperia XZ Premium Review
Out of the box, the Sony Xperia XZ Premium runs on Android 7.0 Nougat which was the latest version of the Android operating system at the time it was launched back in February. With this, you get exciting features of the OS such as split-screen, adaptive notifications and more.
Design & Display
The Sony Xperia XZ Premium comes with a 5.5-inch 4K HDR TRILUMINOUS display which has a sRGB 138% colour gamut and is protected with Corning Gorilla Glass. The smartphone’s 4K HDR properties make it suitable as a mobile theatre as movies and pictures are displayed clearly in a very high resolution.
The XZ Premium weighs 195 grammes and comes just 7.9 millimetres thick. It has a metal unibody design and possesses IP65 and IP68 certifications for water and dust resistance. The smartphone uses on-screen navigation buttons and has a fingerprint sensor embedded into its power button on the right side of the smartphone.
Memory & Performance
The Sony Xperia XZ Premium comes offers effective multi-tasking with 4GB of RAM, and there’s ample space to store files with 64GB of internal memory which can be expanded with an external microSD card.
The Xperia XZ Premium was the first smartphone to be powered by the flagship Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 processor with eight cores, and its graphics are handled by an Adreno 540 GPU.
The XZ Premium sports a 19MP camera with an Exmos RS sensor and f/2.0 aperture at the rear with a dual-tone LED flash. It’s the first smartphone to offer960fps slow-motion video recording, along with 4K recording, Predictive capture and 5-axis stabilisation.
The smartphone also sports a 13MP camera with the 22mm wide-angle lens, a f/2.0 aperture and Full HD video recording at the front for taking selfies.
Battery & Connectivity
The Sony Xperia XZ Premium packs a 3230mAh battery and comes with Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0 which makes sure the phone gets a full charge in less than two hours. It comes in single and dual SIM variants, both supporting 4G LTE networks.
The smartphone comes with common connectivity options like WiFi 802.11 ac (2.4GHz / 5GHz) MIMO, Bluetooth 4.2, GPS with GLONASS, NFC, and has a USB Type-C port which aids charging and data transfer.
In terms of hardware, the XZ Premium offers an immersive audio experience with DSEE HX, LDAC and Digital Noise Cancelling audio technologies.
Sony Xperia XZ Premium Full Specifications
- 2G: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 MHz.
- 3G: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100 MHz.
- 4G: Yes, LTE.
- Network Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE Cat6 300/50 Mbps.
- SIM Type: n/a.
- SIM Count: Single & Dual SIM.
- OS: Android 7.1 (Nougat).
- User Interface: n/a
Design & Display
- Dimensions: 156 * 77 * 7.9 mm.
- Weight: 195g.
- Display size: 5.5 inches.
- Pixel Resolution: 3840 * 2160 pixels (4K HDR).
- Pixel Density: n/a
- Display Technology: HDR TRILUMINOS Touchscreen Display with X-Reality.
- Form Factor: Touchscreen Bar.
- Build: Metal Unibody Design
- Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass 5
- Colours: Luminous Chrome, Deepsea Black, Bronze Pink & Opulent Red (Rosso).
- Processor Name/Technology: Snapdragon 835 Mobile Platform.
- Processor Speed: –
- Number of Processor Cores: Octa-core
- Graphics Processor: Adreno 540.
- RAM: 4GB.
- Internal Storage: 64GB internal memory.
- External Storage: expandable with microSD.
- Sensors: Accelerometer, Light, Proximity, Fingerprint sensor.
- Lens: 19MP.
- LED Flash: Yes.
- Video recording: Yes, 4K.
- Exmor RS sensor.
- 1/2.3″ sensor
- f/2.0 aperture
- Predictive capture
- 5-axis stabilization
- 960fps slow-motion video
- Lens: 13MP.
- LED Flash: No.
- Video recording: Yes,1080p.
- 1/3″ Exmor RS sensor.
- 22mm wide-angle f/2.0 lens.
- Music Support: AAC, AMR, MP2, MP3, M4A, MKA.
- Loudspeaker: Yes.
- Audio Technology: DSEE HX, LDAC, Digital Noise Cancelling.
- Video Support: MP4/MPEG4/H.263/H.264 player.
- FM Radio: No.
- Bluetooth: v4.2.
- Bluetooth Profiles: A2DP, LE.
- WiFi: WiFi 802.11 ac (2.4GHz / 5GHz) MIMO, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot.
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS & GLONASS.
- USB: USB Type-C.
- USB OTG: Yes.
- NFC: Yes.
- 3.5mm audio jack: Yes.
- Battery Capacity: 3230mAh.
- Battery Technology: Li-ion.
- Removable? No.
- Fast Charging: Yes, Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0.
- Extra Features: IP65 & IP68 certifications for dust and water resistance
- Launch Date: February 2017.
- Availability: February 2017.
How much is Sony Xperia XZ Premium?
The Sony Xperia XZ Premium costs around $772 in the U.S, and its new colour variant, the Xperia XZ Premium Rosso will be available with NTT Docomo in Japan from the 27th of October.