Tecno Mobile has launched a new series of smartphones called Tecno Spark in Nigeria, and without wasting time launched two new smartphones in the series. Welcome the Tecno Spark K7 and Spark K7 Plus, the newest entrants into the Nigerian smartphone markets.
The Tecno Spark series is a line of budget smartphones created for young people who desire to take beautiful pictures and selfies but can’t afford smartphones dedicated to that such as those in the Tecno Camon series.
Tecno Spark K7 Review
Like every smartphone from Tecno since the company debuted its custom UI version, HiOS, the Tecno Spark K7 runs on a version of Tecno’s HiOS which is built on version 7.0 (Nougat) of the Android operating system. I’d be stoked if it ran on a version of Android lower than this.
Design & Display
Budget smartphones have always been associated with basic and sometimes crappy designs, but that’s not the case for the Spark K7. It has a 5.5-inch IPS display with an HD (1280 * 720) pixel resolution and a design so cool that you would think it’s sold for higher than its actual price.
The phone is made with metal and has curved edges and a back panel designed to fit into the palms of your hands comfortably, what with a thickness measurement of 7.9 millimetres.
Memory & Performance
An octa-core MediaTek MT6753 processor with a clock speed of 1.3GHz which I must say is refreshing to know as many budget smartphones come with the slower MT6737 processor. The phone’s graphics are handled by a Mali T720 MP4 GPU.
It has 1GB of RAM and 16GB of default internal storage, and there’s a microSD card slot in the phone which can accept external microSD cards with a size of up to 32GB. I guess the RAM size is a trade-off for all the other good features you get at such a low prize.
This is the main focus of the Tecno Spark line of smartphones, and the Spark K7 goes head-to-head with the Camon C9 with a 13MP rear camera which has a f/2.0 aperture, autofocus and strings along a LED flash for brightening up your photos.
The phone also sports a 5MP camera with 83-degrees wide-angle lens and two flash mechanisms (LED flash and screen flash) to make sure you never capture dull selfies. Note that its rear camera can record videos at Full HD (1080p) resolution.
The Tecno Spark K7 packs a 3000mAh Li-ion battery which supplies juice for the smartphone to keep running through the day. The battery can’t be removed (and replaced when it’s bad), but you would probably have another smartphone by the time you have to worry about that.
Connectivity & Hardware
As is typical of budget smartphones, the Spark K7 comes with dual micro SIM slots, but it’s saddening that it doesn’t support 4G LTE.
In terms of hardware, the phone has a fingerprint scanner at the rear below the camera module.
Tecno Spark K7 Full Specifications
- 2G: GSM 900 / 1800 MHz.
- 3G: HSDPA 900 / 2100 MHz.
- 4G: No.
- Network Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps.
- SIM Type: Micro-SIM, dual standby.
- SIM Count: Dual SIM.
- OS: Android 7.0 Nougat.
- User Interface: HiOS.
Design & Display
- Dimensions: 153 * 76.4 * 7.9 mm.
- Weight: –
- Display size: 5.5 inches.
- Display Resolution: 1280 * 720 pixels (HD).
- Pixel resolution: ~267 ppi pixel density
- Display Technology: IPS LCD Capacitive touchscreen.
- Form Factor: Touchscreen Bar.
- Build: Metal aluminium design.
- Protection: n/a
- Colours: Phantom Black, Metallic Red, Champagne Gold & Coral Blue.
- Processor Name/Technology: 64-bit MediaTek MT6753 processor.
- Processor Speed: 1.3GHz.
- Number of Processor Cores: Octa-core.
- Graphics Processor: Mali T720 MP4.
- RAM: 1GB.
- Internal Storage: 16GB.
- External Storage: microSD, up to 32GB.
- Sensors: Accelerometer, Light, Proximity, Fingerprint Sensor.
- Lens: 13MP.
- LED Flash: Yes.
- Video recording: Yes, 1080p.
- Properties: f/2.0 aperture, Autofocus.
- Lens: 5MP.
- Flash: Yes, LED Flash & Screen flash.
- Video recording: Yes.
- Properties: 83-degree wide-angle lens.
- Music Support: AAC, AMR, MP2, MP3, M4A, MKA.
- Loudspeaker: Yes.
- Audio Technology: –
- Video Support: MP4/MPEG4/H.263/H.264 player.
- FM Radio: Yes.
- Bluetooth: v4.0.
- Bluetooth Profiles: –
- WiFi: Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot.
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS.
- USB: micro-USB v2.0.
- USB OTG: Yes.
- NFC: No.
- 3.5mm audio jack: Yes.
- Battery Capacity: 3000mAh.
- Battery Technology: Li-ion.
- Removable? No.
- Fast Charging: No.
- Extra Features: –
- Launch Date: August 18, 2017.
- Availability: August 23, 2017.
How much is Tecno Spark K7 in Nigeria, Kenya & Ghana?
The Tecno Spark K7 costs N32,800 in Nigeria and is already available in the Nigerian smartphone market. It comes in Phantom Black, Metallic Red, Champagne Gold & Coral Blue colours and has been launched in Kenya for Ksh.10,000.