Samsung has always had problems when it comes to packing their devices with bigger batteries. This was evident two years ago when the Galaxy Note 7 turned into an exploding device raising safety concerns.
Since then the devices were recalled, and Samsung revised its quality assurance process for batteries before Samsung Mobile chief DJ Koh assured reporters that the Galaxy Note 9 battery was safe.
“The battery in the Galaxy Note 9 is safer than ever. Users do not have to worry about the batteries anymore,” He said.
According to reports in New York, a real estate agent, Diane Chung has filed a lawsuit against Samsung claiming her device caught fire inside her purse.
“Just after midnight Sept. 3, Chung was in the elevator of a Bayside building when her brand new phone “became extremely hot,” according to court papers.
“She stopped using the phone and put it in her bag. Suddenly, “she heard a whistling and screeching sound, and she noticed thick smoke” pouring from her purse, she alleges.
“Chung put the bag on the elevator floor and tried to empty it, burning her fingers as she grabbed the smoking Samsung, the suit says.
“Trapped alone in the lift and “extremely panicked,” Chung dropped the phone and started smashing elevator buttons, the thick smoke making it hard to see.
The report also states that a good Samaritan plunked the phone into a bucket of water to cool it. Chung is demanding damages as she was unable to contact any clients after the incident and she also wants a restraining order barring sales of Galaxy Note 9s.
Samsung has responded that the matter is being investigated since this is the first case.
“We have not received any reports of similar incidents involving a Galaxy Note9 device and we are investigating the matter,” a Samsung spokesman said.
The Samsung Galaxy Note 9 was launched last month with a cooling feature, and this incident might be isolated as Samsung will not want to face the battery issue that made them abandon over 2.5 million Note 7 devices two years ago.