Many people don’t realize how many styles car doors can come in and why they were designed as such. Car doors range from the traditional to the exotic, opening outward or backward. Some are attached by hinges, others by a track.
We’ve created a top 11 list of these varying types of doors that can be found on cars, as well as why they were designed. While most car owners will opt for the standard and conventional doors we know so well, some of you may want to try one of these glamorous car door types. You will definitely stand out from the crowd!
Without further ado, and in no particular order, here are the top 11 variations of car doors that can be found on the market. Let’s begin with our traditional car door type.
Conventional Car Doors
These are the door you see on most cars. They are hinged at the front facing edge of the car door, allowing room for the door to swing open from the body of the car outwards. Compared to other car door types these are considered to be generally safe because its unlikely they will unlatch when driving. Should the door be opened during any forward motion at speed, the wind resistance will work to keep the door closed.
The Scissor Door
Also referred to as Lamborghini doors, this variation can be found on the Lamborghini Murcielago. It was designed in 1968 by Bertone’s Marcella Gandini and was first used on the Carabo concept car model of Alfa Romeo’s car line. However, over the years Scissor doors have become a trademark of the Lamborghini.
Like a traditional car door, the Scissor door is attached to the car’s framework by a hinge that is located at the car’s front top corner, using a Scissor joint. The doors open vertically upwards to about 90 to 130 degrees, rather than opening outwards as do traditional car doors.
The design grew out of Gandini’s desire for a design that was innovative, as well as a concern for the poor visibility at the rear of the car when trying to reverse. The Scissor design would allow for the driver to open the door hatch upwards and lean out in order to be able to see behind the car. In the present, we can find a number of aftermarket companies who specialize in the production of conversion kits that will turn traditional car doors into Scissor doors.
Scissor Door Advantages
- Gives the potential to operate the car with the door open, something a traditional car door cannot do.
- Can be useful when parking in tight spaces, given that the doors stay within the track of the car through their entire movement range.
- With the hinges being situated in a similar area to a conventional car door, similar car models have the adaptability to be converted to Scissor doors.
- Reduces the hazard of doors hitting cyclists when opened.
Scissor Door Disadvantages
- The door still hampers access, in some cases more than a conventional door.
- The cost to manufacture the door hinge can be more than one for a conventional door.
- The door can come into contact with the ceiling of a parking garage if the height of the ceiling is not sufficient.
- Should a car rollover in an accident, it can be harder to get out of the car in an emergency, in some cases impossible.