Xiaomi recorded a milestone today in China as it launched the Xiaomi Mi A1 in its new Xiaomi A series, its first smartphone to have dual cameras. The Mi A1 is the global version of the Xiaomi Mi 5X that was announced in China earlier in July.
The Mi A1 is an Android One smartphone, meaning it was created via a collaboration with Google which sees the smartphone running on stock Android ROM based on version 7.1 Nougat out of the box and in line of an Android 8.0 Oreo update later in the year. In fact, the company says it will be one of the first smartphones to get next year’s iteration of the Android OS, Android P.
Xiaomi said that smartphones in the new Mi A1 series will come with dual pyrolytic graphite sheets that will aid in quick heat radiation and diffusion. This feature would first be available to the smartphones sold in India, after which it will be incorporated into global versions of the phone.
Xiaomi Mi A1 Review
The Xiaomi Mi A1 runs on Android 7.1.2 Nougat and will receive an upgrade to Android 8.0 Oreo before the year is over. It comes pre-loaded with Mi Camera, Mi Remote and Mi Store applications, as well as unlimited high quality photo and video backups in the Google Photos app.
Design & Display
The Mi A1 has a 5.5-inch LTPS display which is covered with 2.5D curved glass and protected by Corning Gorilla Glass. The display has a Full HD (1920 * 1080) pixel resolution and offers quality picture representation with features like 450nit brightness and 1000:1 contrast ratio.
The smartphone weighs 165 grammes and is just 7.3 millimetres thick. It has a metal unibody design and uses capacitive navigation buttons. Its edges are rounded to make it easy on the hands when held in landscape orientation.
Memory & Performance
Under the hood, the Mi A1 is powered by an octa-core Snapdragon processor which runs on the 14nm process and can work at speeds up to 2GHz. Its graphics operations are handled by an Adreno 506 GPU which can run at speeds up to 650MHz.
The smartphone comes with 4GB of RAM and 64GB of eMMC 5.0 internal storage which can be expanded up to 128GB using an external microSD card.
A dual camera setup consisting of a 12MP primary camera with wide-angle lens, 1.25um pixel size and a f/2.2 aperture and a 12MP secondary camera with telephoto lens, 1.0um pixel size, f/2/6 aperture and PDAF at the rear, together with a dual-tone LED flash which brightens up your photos.
It also sports a 5MP camera at the front for capturing selfies.
The Mi A1 packs a 3080mAh battery which can be used from a full charge for a whole day on average usage.
Connectivity & Hardware
A hybrid dual SIM slot with support for 4G VoLTE is present in the smartphone, along with other connectivity options like Wi-Fi 802.11 ac (2.4GHz / 5GHz), Bluetooth 4.2, GPS + GLONASS & a USB Type-C port.
In terms of hardware, the Xiaomi Mi A1 has a fingerprint sensor on its rear panel and a dedicated 10v amplifier to give you a quality audio experience.
Xiaomi Mi A1 Full Specifications
- 2G: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 MHz.
- 3G: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100 MHz.
- 4G: LTE with VoLTE.
- Network Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE Cat6 300/50 Mbps.
- SIM Type: Micro + Nano / microSD Slot.
- SIM Count: Hybrid Dual SIM
- OS: Android One (Android 7.1.2 (Nougat) out of the box, upgradeable to 8.0 Oreo).
- User Interface: n/a
Design & Display
- Dimensions: 155.4 75.8 7.3 mm.
- Weight: 165g.
- Display size: 5.5 inches.
- Display Resolution: 1920 * 1080 pixels (Full HD).
- Pixel resolution: –
- Display Technology: IPS LCD Capacitive touchscreen.
- Form Factor: Touchscreen Bar.
- Build: Metal Unibody Design.
- Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass protection.
- Features: 2.5D curved glass, 450-nit brightness, 1000:1 contrast ratio.
- Colours: Black, Gold and Rose Gold.
- Processor Name/Technology: 64-bit Snapdragon 625 14nm processor.
- Processor Speed: 2GHz.
- Number of Processor Cores: Octa-Core.
- Graphics Processor: Adreno 506.
- RAM: 4GB.
- Internal Storage: 64GB storage (eMMC 5.0).
- External Storage: expandable up to 128GB with microSD.
- Sensors: Accelerometer, Light, Proximity, Fingerprint sensor, Infrared sensor.
- Lens: 12MP + 12MP dual rear cameras.
- LED Flash: Yes, dual-tone LED flash.
- Video recording: Yes, 1080p.
- 1.25um pixel size.
- f/2.2 aperture
- 1.0um pixel size
- f/2.6 aperture
- Telephoto lens
- Lens: 5MP.
- LED Flash: –
- Video recording: Yes.
- Properties: –
- Music Support: AAC, AMR, MP2, MP3, M4A, MKA.
- Loudspeaker: Yes.
- Audio Technology: Dedicated 10v amplifier.
- Video Support: MP4/MPEG4/H.263/H.264 player.
- FM Radio: No.
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth 4.2.
- Bluetooth Profiles: LE.
- WiFi: Wi-Fi 802.11 ac (2.4GHz / 5GHz), Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot.
- GPS: GPS + GLONASS
- USB: USB Type-C.
- USB OTG: Yes.
- NFC: –
- 3.5mm audio jack: Yes.
- Battery Capacity: 3080mAh.
- Battery Technology: Li-ion.
- Removable? No.
- Fast Charging: Yes.
- Extra Features: –
- Launch Date: September 5, 2017.
- Availability: September 12, 2017.
How much is Xiaomi Mi A1?
The Xiaomi Mi A1 will first be available in India on Flipkart, Mi.com and Mi Home stores from 12PM on September 12 for Rs.14,999, after which it will be gradually rolled out to global markets in Africa, APAC and Asia. It comes in Black, Gold and Rose Gold colours.
DEAL ALERT: You can get the Xiaomi Mi A1 for just $213.99 on Gearbest by applying the coupon code hsa1gb during checkout.