A day before the launch of Apple’s new iPhones, Xiaomi announced the Xiaomi Mi MIX 2, successor of last year’s Mi MIX which triggered a release of smartphones with near bezel-less displays. The Mi MIX 2 was announced alongside the Mi Note 3 at an event in China.
The Xiaomi Mi MIX 2 improves over the already-impressive original Mi MIX, with a greater aspect ratio, smaller screen size and top-of-the-line specifications.
Xiaomi Mi MIX 2 Review
The Xiaomi Mi MIX 2 runs on the latest version of Xiaomi’s custom UI for its Android smartphones, MIUI 9 which is based on the Android 7.1 (Nougat) OS.
Design & Display
Like the standard Mi MIX, the Xiaomi Mi MIX 2 was designed by world renowned designer, Philippe Starck. It comes with a 5.99-inch display which has a Full HD+ (2160 * 1080) pixel resolution, 1500:1 contrast ratio, DCI-P3 colour gamut and 18:9 aspect ratio.
The Mi MIX 2 is completely bezel-less on three sides (both sides and top), and its bottom bezel is 12% slimmer than that on its predecessor. The smartphone comes in two variants; one (Standard) with a four-sided curved ceramic body and aluminium frame, and the Special Edition with a full ceramic body.
The Standard edition of the MI MIX 2 weighs 185 grammes while the Special Edition weighs just 187 grammes. Both variants are just 7.7 millimetres thick.
Memory & Performance
The Xiaomi Mi MIX 2 is powered under the hood by an octa-core 64-bit Snapdragon 835 Mobile Platform processor which runs on the 10nm and at a maxumum speed of 2.45GHz. Its graphics are rendered by an Adreno 540 GPU.
The smartphone comes in several internal storage variants; the Standard Edition comes in three variants with 6GB of LPDDR4x RAM and 64GB, 128GB and 256GB of UFS 2.1 internal storage respectively. The Special Edition comes with 8GB of LPDDR4x RAM and 128GB of UFS 2.1 internal storage.
The Mi MIX 2 sports a single 12MP camera that uses a Sony IMIX386 sensor, has a 1.25µm pixel size, f/2.0 aperture, 4-axis OIS and can record videos in 4K resolution at the rear with a dual-tone LED flash.
It also has a 5MP camera that can record videos in 1080p resolution upfront, but the lens is placed on the right of the bottom bezel, unlike most (every other) smartphones that have it on the top bezel. Like the Mi Note 3, the front camera also supports facial recognition.
The Mi MIX 2 packs a 3400mAh battery with Quick Charge 3.0 technology from Qualcomm, like on the Mi Note 3. Its charging and file transfer speed is further aided by a USB Type-C port.
Connectivity & Hardware
The smartphone comes with dual Nano SIM slots and supports 4G LTE network connections. It has a fingerprint sensor positioned at the back below the main camera module, and uses a sound guided 50mW high power speaker with a sound guided audio tube.
Xiaomi Mi MIX 2 Full Specifications
- 2G: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 MHz.
- 3G: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100 MHz.
- 4G: LTE.
- Network Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE Cat6 300/50 Mbps.
- SIM Type: Nano SIM.
- SIM Count: Dual SIM.
- OS: Android 7.1 (Nougat).
- User Interface: MIUI 9.
Design & Display
- 151.8 * 75.5 * 7.7 mm (Standard Edition).
- 150.5 * 74.6 * 7.7 mm (Special Edition).
- 185g (Standard Edition).
- 187g (Special Edition).
- Display size: 5.99 inches.
- Display Resolution: 2160 * 1080 pixels (Full HD+).
- Pixel resolution: n/a
- Display Technology: IPS LCD Capacitive touchscreen.
- Form Factor: Touchscreen Bar.
- Full Ceramic body (Special Edition).
- Four-sided curved ceramic body with aluminium alloy frame.
- Protection: n/a.
- Features: 18:9 aspect ratio, DCI-P3 colour gamut, 1500:1 contrast ratio.
- Colours: Black & White.
- Processor Name/Technology: Snapdragon 835 10nm Mobile Platform Processor.
- Processor Speed: 2.45GHz.
- Number of Processor Cores: Octa-core.
- Graphics Processor: Adreno 540.
- RAM: 6GB / 8GB LPDDR4x.
- Internal Storage: 64GB / 128GB / 256GB (UFS 2.1).
- External Storage: Not expandable.
- Sensors: Accelerometer, Light, Proximity, Fingerprint sensor.
- Lens: 12MP.
- LED Flash: Yes, dual-tone LED flash.
- Video recording: Yes, 4K.
- Sony IMX386 sensor.
- 1.25μm pixel size.
- f/2.0 aperture.
- 4-axis OIS.
- Lens: 5MP.
- LED Flash: No.
- Video recording: Yes, 1080p.
- Properties: Facial recognition.
- Music Support: AAC, AMR, MP2, MP3, M4A, MKA.
- Loudspeaker: Yes.
- Audio Technology: 50mW high power sound guided speaker with sound guided tube.
- Video Support: MP4/MPEG4/H.263/H.264 player.
- FM Radio: No.
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth 5.0.
- Bluetooth Profiles: A2DP, LE.
- WiFi: WiFi 802.11ac dual-band (2×2 MU-MIMO ), Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot.
- GPS: GPS/GLONASS/Beidou.
- USB: USB Type-C.
- USB OTG: Yes.
- NFC: Yes.
- 3.5mm audio jack: Yes.
- Battery Capacity: 3400mAh (typical) / 3300mAh (minimum).
- Battery Technology: Li-ion.
- Removable? No.
- Fast Charging: Yes, Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0.
- Extra Features: –
- Launch Date: September 11, 2017.
- Availability: September 2017.
How much is Xiaomi Mi MIX 2?
The Standard Edition of the Mi MIX 2 comes in Black colour, and the variant with 64GB ROM costs $506, the one with 128GB costs $552 and the variant with 256GB costs $613.
The Special Edition comes in Black and White colours and costs $721.