Xiaomi launched two smartphones last week just a day before the launch of the 2017 iteration of Apple products, and both smartphones were spectacular, to say the least. The Xiaomi Mi MIX 2, the successor of the stunning Mi MIX that was launched last year was announced, and the Xiaomi Mi Note 3 with features that also spectacular in their own right.
The Xiaomi Mi Note 3 has some of its specs similar to those of the Xiaomi Mi 6, but also has some of its own peculiar features that set it apart from the flagship smartphone from the Apple of China. Here is a review of the Mi Note 3.
Xiaomi Mi Note 3 Review
The Xiaomi Mi Note 3 runs on version 9 of Xiaomi’s custom user interface for Android smartphones, MIUI which is based on version 7.1 (Nougat) of the Android operating system.
Design & Display
The Mi Note 3 has an attractive curved body design made with glass and supported with an aluminium frame. It comes with a 5.5-inch display which has 94.4% NTSC colour gamut, 1500:1 contrast ratio, 550 nits brightness and Full HD (1920 * 1080) pixel resolution.
The smartphone uses a physical home button placed below the display at the front, but its other capacitive navigation buttons are on-screen. It weighs 163 grammes and is just 7.6 millimetres thick.
Memory & Performance
The Xiaomi Mi Note 3 is powered by an octa-core Snapdragon 660 Mobile Platform processor which runs on the 14nm process and has a clock speed of 2.2GHz under the hood, while its graphics operations are handled by an Adreno 512 GPU.
The phone comes in two internal storage variants, both with 6GB of LPDDR4x RAM, one with 64GB of eMMC 5.1 internal storage, and the second, the high-end variant with 128GB of eMMC 5.1 internal storage.
Like the Mi 6, the Mi Note 3 has two 12MP camera lenses at the rear, the primary one with a pixel size of 1.25µm, f/1.8 aperture, 4-axis OIS and 4K video recording, while the secondary lens has a 1.0µm pixel size, 52mm portrait lens and f/2.6 aperture. The phone also has a dual-tone LED flash to aid visibility in dark conditions.
The Mi Note 3 differs from the Mi 6 at the front, sporting a 16MP camera with a 2µm pixel size for taking selfies. It doesn’t have flash at the front, but it allows you to unlock the smartphone with your face. It The front camera also comes with Adaptable AI that beautifies your photos without affecting their quality.
The Xiaomi Mi Note 3 packs a 3500mAh battery with version 3.0 of the Quick Charge fast charging technology from Qualcomm that makes sure the smartphone is fully charged in less than two hours.
Connectivity & Hardware
The phone has many sensors that are common to smartphones, and in addition, it has an infrared sensor and a fingerprint sensor embedded in its physical home button. It comes with dual Nano SIM slots and supports 4G LTE networks.
The smartphone has stereo speakers, a USB Type-C port and offers connectivity options like WiFi 802.11ac dual-band (2×2 MU-MIMO ), Bluetooth 5.0, GPS/GLONASS/Beidou and NFC.
Xiaomi Mi Note 3 Full Specifications
- 2G: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 MHz.
- 3G: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100 MHz.
- 4G: LTE.
- Network Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE Cat6 300/50 Mbps.
- SIM Type: Nano SIM.
- SIM Count: Dual SIM.
- OS: Android 7.1 (Nougat).
- User Interface: MIUI 9.
Design & Display
- Dimensions: 152.6 * 73.95 * 7.6 mm.
- Weight: 163g.
- Display size: 5.5 inches.
- Display Resolution: 1920 * 1080 pixels (Full HD).
- Pixel resolution: ~406 ppi pixel density
- Display Technology: IPS LCD Capacitive touchscreen.
- Form Factor: Touchscreen Bar.
- Build: Metal Unibody Design
- Protection: n/a.
- Features: 550 nits brightness, 94.4% NTSC colour gamut, 1500:1 contrast ratio.
- Colours: Black & Blue.
- Processor Name/Technology: Snapdragon 660 14nm Mobile Platform Processor.
- Processor Speed: Quad 2.2GHz Kryo 260 + Quad 1.8GHz Kryo 260 CPUs.
- Number of Processor Cores: Octa-core.
- Graphics Processor: Adreno 512.
- RAM: 6GB LPDDR4x.
- Internal Storage: 64GB / 128GB.
- External Storage: Not expandable.
- Sensors: Accelerometer, Light, Proximity, Infrared sensor, Fingerprint sensor.
- Lens: 12MP + 12MP dual cameras.
- LED Flash: Yes, dual-tone LED flash.
- Video recording: Yes, 4K.
- 1.25μm pixel size
- f/1.8 aperture
- 4-axis OIS.
- 1.0μm pixel size
52mm portrait lens.
- 1.0μm pixel size
- Lens: 16MP.
- LED Flash: No.
- Video recording: Yes.
- Properties: 2µm pixel size.
- Music Support: AAC, AMR, MP2, MP3, M4A, MKA.
- Loudspeaker: Yes.
- Audio Technology: Stereo speakers.
- Video Support: MP4/MPEG4/H.263/H.264 player.
- FM Radio: No.
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth 5.0.
- Bluetooth Profiles: A2DP, LE.
- WiFi: WiFi 802.11ac dual-band (2×2 MU-MIMO ), Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot.
- GPS: GPS/GLONASS/Beidou.
- USB: USB Type-C.
- USB OTG: Yes.
- NFC: Yes.
- 3.5mm audio jack: Yes.
- Battery Capacity: 3500mAh (typical) / 3400mAh (minimum).
- Battery Technology: Li-ion.
- Removable? No.
- Fast Charging: Yes, Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0.
- Extra Features: –
- Launch Date: September 11, 2017.
- Availability: September 2017.
How much is Xiaomi Mi Note 3?
The 64GB ROM variant of the Xiaomi Mi Note 3 costs $383 which is equivalent to 2,499 Yuan and Rs. 24,500, while the 128GB ROM variant comes in Black colour version which costs $445/Rs. 28,420/2,899 Yuan and Blue colour version which costs $460/Rs. 29,400/2,999 Yuan.