The Xiaomi Redmi Y1 Lite is the lower variant of the Redmi Y1 that was recently launched in India as a rebranded version of the Redmi Note 5A Prime. The Redmi Y1 Lite itself is a rebranded version of the Redmi Note 5A that was launched in China in August.
Even though it’s a budget smartphone, the Redmi Y1 Lite still packs average specs like 2GB of RAM for moderate multi-tasking and a 3080mAh battery that lasts through the day.
Xiaomi Redmi Y1 Lite Review
The Xiaomi Redmi Y1 Lite runs on Xiaomi’s custom user interface for its Android smartphones, MIUI 8 which was built on version 7.1.1 (Nougat) of the Android operating system. The phone will be upgraded to the latest MIUI 9 in a software update that will come later on, as promised by the company.
Design & Display
The Redmi Y1 Lite is the same size as its higher variant, featuring a 5.5-inch display which has an HD (1280 * 720) pixel resolution, 1000:1 contrast ratio and 70% NTSC colour gamut. It is also protected with Corning Gorilla Glass on the front.
The smartphone has a metal unibody design that’s similar to that on the Redmi Y1, except that it’s lacking the fingerprint scanner on the rear panel. It weighs in at 150g and is just 7.55 millimetres thick.
Memory & Performance
The Xiaomi Redmi Y1 Lite is powered by a quad-core Snapdragon 425 Mobile Platform processor which operates at a maximum speed of 1.4GHz and is assisted in the area of graphics processing by an Adreno 308 GPU.
It comes with 2GB of RAM and 16GB of internal storage which can be expanded up to 128GB using an external microSD card.
A 13MP camera holds the photography fort at the rear of the smartphone with a f/2.2 aperture, Phase Detection AutoFocus (PDAF) and a LED flash which lights up your images.
The phone also sports a 5MP camera with a f/2.0 aperture upfront for taking selfies.
Battery, Connectivity & Hardware
The Xiaomi Redmi Y1 Lite has the same 3080mAh battery capacity as the Redmi Y1, but this doesn’t mean the same battery life as the processor differences between the two are bound to cause disparities in their battery life.
It comes with dual Nano-SIM slots and supports 4G LTE networks, including those with the Voice-over-LTE (VoLTE) functionality. It has an infrared sensor and offers active noise cancellation with a dedicated microphone.
Xiaomi Redmi Y1 Lite Full Specifications
- 2G: GSM 900 / 1800 / 1900 MHz.
- 3G: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100 MHz.
- 4G: LTE band 1(2100), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 20(800), 38(2600), 40(2300).
- Network Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE Cat6 300/50 Mbps.
- SIM Type: Nano SIM.
- SIM Count: Dual SIM.
- OS: Android 7.1.1 (Nougat).
- User Interface: MIUI 8, upgradeable to MIUI 9.
Design & Display
- Dimensions: 153 * 76.2 * 7.55 mm.
- Weight: 150g.
- Display size: 5.5 inches.
- Display Resolution: 1280 * 720 pixels (HD).
- Pixel resolution: ~267 ppi pixel density.
- Display Technology: IPS LCD Capacitive touchscreen.
- Form Factor: Touchscreen Bar.
- Build: Metal aluminium Design, 16:9 aspect ratio, ~71.5% screen-to-body ratio.
- Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass.
- Features: 450 nits brightness, 1000: 1 Contrast ratio, 70% NTSC color gamut.
- Colours: Gold and Dark Gray.
- Processor Name/Technology: Snapdragon 425 Mobile Platform.
- Processor Speed: 1.4GHz.
- Number of Processor Cores: 4 (Quad-Core).
- Graphics Processor: Adreno 308.
- RAM: 2GB.
- Internal Storage: 16GB.
- External Storage: expandable up to 128GB with microSD.
- Sensors: Accelerometer, Light, Proximity, Fingerprint sensor, Infrared sensor.
- Lens: 13MP.
- LED Flash: Yes.
- Video recording: Yes, 1080p@30fps.
- f/2.2 aperture.
- Lens: 5MP.
- LED Flash: No.
- Video recording: Yes.
- Properties: f/2.0 aperture.
- Music Support: AAC, AMR, MP2, MP3, M4A, MKA.
- Loudspeaker: Yes.
- Audio Technology: n/a.
- Video Support: MP4/MPEG4/H.263/H.264 player.
- FM Radio: Yes.
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth 4.2.
- Bluetooth Profiles: A2DP, LE.
- WiFi: WiFi 802.11 b/g/n, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot.
- GPS: GPS / GLONASS.
- USB: v2.0.
- USB OTG: Yes.
- NFC: No.
- 3.5mm audio jack: Yes.
- Battery Capacity: 3080mAh.
- Battery Technology: Li-ion.
- Removable? No.
- Fast Charging: No.
- Extra Features: –
- Launch Date: November 2, 2017.
- Availability: November 8, 2017.
How much is Xiaomi Redmi Y1 Lite in Nigeria?
The Xiaomi Redmi Y1 Lite costs around N38,000 ($169) and comes in Gold and Dark Grey colour versions.