Xiaomi recently launched a new device in its Redmi Y series of budget smartphones in India. The Xiaomi Redmi Y1, as it is called, is nothing but a re-branded version of the Redmi Note 5A Prime that as was launched some months ago in China.
The Redmi Y1 was unveiled alongside its lower variant, the Redmi Y1 Lite. It has good specs for performance like 4GB of RAM and a Snapdragon 435 processor which doesn’t quite match up with its low price tag. Well, it’s a budget phone, so who are we to complain?
Xiaomi Redmi Y1 Review
The Xiaomi Redmi Y1 runs out of the box with Android 7.1.2 Nougat which has Xiaomi’s custom MIUI 8 layered on top of it. MIUI 8 is great and has received favourable reviews all over, but as human beings, we always want the latest, which is why Xiaomi has included the ability to upgrade to MIUI 9 which would be served later via a software update on the smartphone.
Design & Display
The Redmi Y1 comes with a 5.5-inch display which has an HD (1280 * 720) pixel resolution and 1000:1 contrast ratio. A 70% NTSC colour gamut allows you to adjust the display tones to suit your taste, and the display performs moderately in outdoor conditions with a maximum brightness level of 450 nits.
The smartphone has an aluminium alloy frame with a brushed metal back cover, at the middle of which a fingerprint sensor which unlocks the phone in just 0.3 seconds is placed. The smartphone’s front is protected by Corning Gorilla Glass.
Memory & Performance
A Snapdragon 435 Mobile Platform processor with eight cores clocked at 1.4GHz sits under the hood powering the smartphone’s operations with an Adreno 505 GPU which handles its graphics processes.
It comes in 3GB RAM with 32GB internal storage and 4GB RAM with 64GB internal storage variants, both of which can be expanded up to 128GB using an external microSD card.
The Xiaomi Redmi Y1 sports a 13MP camera with PDAF, a f/2.2 aperture and a LED flash on the rear. A 16MP offers excellent selfie photography at the front with an OmniVision sensor, f/2.0 aperture, and 76.4-degree wide-angle lens which captures more objects in a single photo.
Battery, Connectivity & Hardware
The smartphone packs a 3080mAh battery which can last for up to a day on average use. It comes with dual nano-SIM slots and supports 4G VoLTE networks.
In terms of hardware, the Redmi Y1 features a fingerprint sensor on its top bezel at the top, allowing you to control other devices remotely.
Xiaomi Redmi Y1 Full Specifications
- 2G: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 MHz.
- 3G: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100 MHz.
- 4G: LTE band 1(2100), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 20(800), 28(700), 38(2600), 40(2300).
- Network Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE Cat6 300/50 Mbps.
- SIM Type: Nano SIM.
- SIM Count: Dual SIM.
- OS: Android 7.1.2 (Nougat).
- User Interface: MIUI 8 upgradeable to MIUI 9.
Design & Display
- Dimensions: 153 * 76.2 * 7.7mm.
- Weight: 153g.
- Display size: 5.5 inches.
- Display Resolution: 1280 8 720 pixels(HD).
- Pixel resolution: ~236 ppi pixel density
- Display Technology: IPS LCD Capacitive touchscreen.
- Form Factor: Touchscreen Bar.
- Build: Aluminium frame with metal-brushed back.
- Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass.
- Features: 450 nits brightness, 1000: 1 Contrast ratio, 70% NTSC colour gamut.
- Colours: Gold and Dark Gray.
- Processor Name/Technology: Snapdragon 435 Mobile Platform.
- Processor Speed: 1.4GHz.
- Number of Processor Cores: 8 (Octa-Core).
- Graphics Processor: Adreno 505.
- RAM: 3GB / 4GB.
- Internal Storage: 32GB / 64GB storage.
- External Storage: expandable up to 128GB with microSD.
- Sensors: Accelerometer, Light, Proximity, Fingerprint sensor, Infrared sensor.
- Lens: 13MP.
- LED Flash: Yes.
- Video recording: Yes, 1080p.
- f/2.2 aperture.
- Lens: 16MP.
- LED Flash: Yes.
- Video recording: Yes.
- OmniVision sensor
- f/2.0 aperture
- 76.4-degree wide-angle lens
- Music Support: AAC, AMR, MP2, MP3, M4A, MKA.
- Loudspeaker: Yes.
- Audio Technology: n/a.
- Video Support: MP4/MPEG4/H.263/H.264 player.
- FM Radio: Yes.
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth 4.2.
- Bluetooth Profiles: A2DP, LE.
- WiFi: WiFi 802.11 b/g/n, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot.
- GPS: GPS / GLONASS.
- USB: v2.0.
- USB OTG: Yes.
- NFC: No.
- 3.5mm audio jack: Yes.
- Battery Capacity: 3080mAh.
- Battery Technology: Li-ion.
- Removable? No.
- Fast Charging: No.
- Extra Features: –
- Launch Date: November 2, 2017.
- Availability: November 8, 2017.
How much is Xiaomi Redmi Y1 in Nigeria?
The Xiaomi Redmi Y1 comes at a price of around $138 (N45,000) for the 3GB RAM variant and around $168 (N65,000) for the 4GB RAM variant.